It’s great to have lots of options, but sometimes it can be downright confusing, leaving you wondering what to do for the best. To help you to make this decision, we have put together some tips. This blog is designed to help you to choose the best Birmingham appliance repair company for you.
What NOT to do when choosing an appliance repair Birmingham company
When it comes to choosing an appliance repair Birmingham company there are some things you should avoid doing. These include:
- Choosing the cheapest: sometimes the old saying “you get what you pay for” is true. Yes, some Birmingham appliance repair companies are cheaper than others, but this might mean the service you receive is not as reliable. It is not uncommon for people to choose a cheaper appliance repair company, only to be left disappointed.
- Not researching the company: calling a Birmingham appliance repair company before researching them first can be a massive mistake. It could mean your repair is completed by someone who isn’t qualified or experienced.
- Not asking for a quote upfront: before you agree for someone to come to your home and fix a problem, you should first get a quote. Find out how much it is expected to cost and what this involves, to avoid being hit with unexpected charges.
- Not checking for insurance: anybody, whether its a business or a self-employed individual, should have insurance. This insurance covers their customers in the event of their property or belongings becoming damaged.
- Not calling around: it might be tempting to call the first Birmingham appliance repair company you come across, but don’t. As time consuming as it might be, calling around will give you peace of mind that the price you are paying is competitive and the services are standard.
The process to choosing the best Birmingham appliance repair company
When it comes to choosing the best Birmingham appliance repair company there is a simple process that you should follow. Here is a step-by-step guide:
- Make a list of all the local appliance repair companies
- Quickly research each company and cross off any that are not able to fix your specific appliance (check the make and model number). Also remove any that do not serve your area. This will give you a shortlist of companies.
- Decide on your budget, how much are you willing to pay to repair the appliance?
- Decide on a date you need your appliance repairing by. Many appliance repair companies will have same-day appointments, but not all will have appointments available.
- Call or research the Birmingham appliance repair companies on your shortlist. Continue reading to find out what questions you want to answer during your call/research.
- Get a quote and arrange a home visit.
Questions to ask an appliance repair company
Before you choose an appliance repair company, you should find the answers to a list of questions, either through website research or by speaking to each of the companies. Here are some of the questions you should seek to answer:
- What is this going to cost? Companies should be able to provide you with an accurate quote over the phone. Sometimes they will need to come to your home to diagnose the fault before they can give you a quote, but they should not charge for this.
- Are there any hidden charges? Make sure that the quote you have been provided is not subject to any additional charges and fees
- Does the price quoted include VAT? Linking to the last question, VAT is often charged separately, so make sure this is included in the quote.
- Will I be charged if the repair can’t be fixed? Most companies will not charge you if they are unable to fix the problem. However, some do slap their customers with a call-out charge and/or charge for their time. To avoid having to pay in the event of the company being unable to fix your appliance, make sure they have a no repair-no fee policy.
- Does the work come with a guarantee? If you’ve just paid for a repair, the last thing you will want to do is pay for the same repair next month. If you make sure your repair comes with a guarantee and you do experience problems, you have the peace of mind that you won’t be charged again.
- If I need a new part, will I have to order this or can the repair company provide it? There’s nothing worse than finding out you need a spare part for your repair and your appliance repair company is unable to supply it. This leaves you shopping around for parts, causing delays to your appliance getting fixed. If you choose an appliance repair company that can supply spare parts, the repair job is much easier and quicker for you.
- If I need a new part, will this be covered by a guarantee? If your appliance repair company does provide spare parts, check that these are also covered in the warranty, so if anything does go wrong, you won’t have to pay again for a new spare part.
- Does the repair company (or individual) have liability insurance? If they don’t and they damage your property or your belongings, you might be left out of pocket.
- Will the person fixing your appliance have the necessary qualifications? Qualifications are very important, especially for people working with electricity and gas. For safety and to ensure your appliance is fixed correctly, always choose a qualified repair person.
- Does the company/individual have any experience? We aren’t saying prejudice against new companies, or professionals who are new to the industry. But it is a good idea to check the company has experience and is an established company, for peace of mind,
- Are there any customer testimonials for the business? A good appliance repair company or individual should have some positive reviews from their previous customers.
- Can any friends or family recommend the business/individual? Nothing will give you more confidence in a Birmingham appliance repair company than a recommendation from a trusted friend or family member.
- Is the business a member of any groups, such as check-a-trade or trust-a-trader? Businesses that are members of these groups are usually more reputable and reliable.
Ideally, after asking these questions, you will find a Birmingham appliance repair company that can:
- is experienced and qualified
- has the tools and skills to fix your broken appliance
- will provide a warranty over work
- will be insured for the event of any damage being caused to your home or belongings.
- is within your budget.
- has been recommended by other customers and/or family/friends.
- is recommended by a well-known group/organisation.
Follow these tips and guides and you should find the best Birmingham appliance repair company for you.